Avengers Magazine Shoot (manip)
CNN has obtained a video, taken shortly after Michael Brown was shot, that shows a contractor who had been working near the shooting site describing the incident in a manner that matches other eyewitness testimony—raising his arms and shouting “man, he was going like this,” as if to suggest that Brown had adopted a posture of surrender before he died.
Two contractors are shown in the video, and both have spoken to CNN; one also spoke previously to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and one to Fox affiliate KTVI. The individual who is shouting and raising his arms in in the video told CNN that “the cop didn’t say get on the ground. He just kept shooting.” The other said that he saw officer Darren Wilson “chasing” Brown, that Wilson fired a shot at Brown while Brown’s back was turned, and that Brown raised his hands before he died, though it’s not clear at what point the witness saw Brown’s hands raised. (For what it’s worth, it seems like the worker who spoke to KTVI is the one wearing a pink shirt in the video and that the worker who spoke to the Post-Dispatch is wearing a green shirt.)
The CNN account notes that the workers are not from Ferguson and did not know the Brown family—a detail that could increase their perceived objectivity vis a vis witnesses from Brown’s neighborhood.
33 Days since Mike Brown’s murder, and his killer, Darren Wilson, is still a free man. How much more evidence is needed to make a fucking arrest?! #farfromover #staywoke #ArrestDarrenWilson
I still laugh whenever I remember that the reason there was a whole section in Goblet of Fire dedicated to Hermione explaining the correct pronunciation of her name to Viktor Krum was because JK Rowling had found out there were actually people out there calling her character “Hermy One”
This is a picture of three people from the Ferguson city commission.
Remember the story of how Ferguson police beat a man and then charged him with bleeding on their uniforms?
See that woman in the picture?
She was one of the cops who beat him.
Seriously what the fuck.
If you weren’t following #Ferguson on Twitter last night, you missed out. The city commission had a meeting where they tried to tell the people they couldn’t talk, but were eventually shouted down. So the All-White-Except-One city council sat there, gave people three minutes to speak, and said nothing, responded to nothing, and did nothing.
A couple of highlights:
A man arrested for peacefully protesting spoke up and said “I’ve done more jail time than Darren Wilson.”
“If Darren Wilson doesn’t get justice, you might as well bring back the army, because it’s going to be chaos,” said another.
ESPN E60 reportedly had a story about a football player from Ferguson who reported a harassment incident with Darren Wilson a week before Mike Brown. (Looked for more reports of this today and don’t see any. Sent a few messages to journalists who were covering Ferguson.)
Several people talked about how the “justice” system (more like “jüstice” system) in Ferguson routinely harasses and exploits people.
The whole thing seemed very organized, with people telling the council (paraphrased): “You’ve done nothing for us, and that’s why you’ve got a murder on your hands. Now we’re coming for you [meaning the various seats on the council]” with one woman in particular saying to the woman pictured above, “We’re coming for your seat first.”
“I have 3 minutes to tell you I am ashamed of every single one of you.”
I’m literally the worst at phones and the whole first day at the job I was the receptionist wtf. I was told I’d be on the phones from time to time but I know so little about their system like wtf. Just give the files and computer and I’ll kick ass, but I can’t actually talk to people representing a company I know so little about right now, you know?
For future reference.
For those who would ever need it. -C
reblogging here because i can see this being relevant to anyone who’s ever tried to get out of an abusive relationship
Reblogging because that last comment made me reread the whole thing in a new light and realize this could be vital information. So, putting it out there for everyone, and hoping no one ever really needs it.
Jeremy Knowles, discussing the complete lack of recognition Cecilia Payne gets, even today, for her revolutionary discovery. (via alliterate)
OH WAIT LEMME TELL YOU ABOUT CECILIA PAYNE.
Cecilia Payne’s mother refused to spend money on her college education, so she won a scholarship to Cambridge.
Cecilia Payne completed her studies, but Cambridge wouldn’t give her a degree because she was a woman, so she said fuck that and moved to the United States to work at Harvard.
Cecilia Payne was the first person ever to earn a Ph.D. in astronomy from Radcliffe College, with what Otto Strauve called “the most brilliant Ph.D. thesis ever written in astronomy.”
Not only did Cecilia Payne discover what the universe is made of, she also discovered what the sun is made of (Henry Norris Russell, a fellow astronomer, is usually given credit for discovering that the sun’s composition is different from the Earth’s, but he came to his conclusions four years later than Payne—after telling her not to publish).
Cecilia Payne is the reason we know basically anything about variable stars (stars whose brightness as seen from earth fluctuates). Literally every other study on variable stars is based on her work.
Cecilia Payne was the first woman to be promoted to full professor from within Harvard, and is often credited with breaking the glass ceiling for women in the Harvard science department and in astronomy, as well as inspiring entire generations of women to take up science.
Cecilia Payne is awesome and everyone should know her.
It just seems like a lot of people focus solely on the mistakes others make. They don’t look at the hearts, accomplishments, or good intentions others have as they try to better themselves and the world. Some people just the focus on the negative.
Some people have yet to realize that humans are and always will be flawed. You say just one little thing that someone thinks is out of line and in their eyes you become the scum the earth, even if you have learned from that mistake and promise not to do it again.
No matter how hard you try, you can’t please everyone. You’re not perfect. No one is. Remember that.
hi so i’ve been compiling resources since high school and i kinda wanted to share them if that’s cool ??? i think it’s cool alright so i went through said resources and picked out the really important ones and the ones i found to be the most helpful
this is directed towards college students like me aw but i mean if you’re younger or maybe if you aren’t even going to school but you feel like it’s helpful then by all means let me help you let’s be friends
- don’t have microsoft word? this is like a knockoff but it works gr8
- diy planner
- diy embroidered notebooks
- diy notebooks and pencil case
- diy washi tape pencils
- diy felt book covers
- super cute diy alternative to a pencil case
- another super cute diy pencil case
- diy laptop stand!
- !!! free online graphing and scientific calculator !!!
- 150 organization projects using things you can find at the dollar store
- flat world knowledge
- gatech math textbooks
- library pirate
- open culture
- project gutenberg
- 100 legal websites to download books for leisure reading
- help reading difficult material
- reading skills
- active reading strategies
- benefits of reading something you enjoy everyday
- cheap, used books with free shipping
- even more cheap books with free shipping
- download free kindle books
- download free audio books
- !!! what is that word you are thinking of !!!
- how to write an essay by wittacism (it’s funny but also v helpful)
- top 10 mistakes students make in an essay
- avoid the word ‘very’, avoid the word ‘said’ and avoid the word ‘looks’
- describe food, someone’s facial expression, a voice, and a scent
- tips for proofreading
- use google scholar to generate a citation
- use google scholar if you need a “scholarly source” for an essay
- prezi powerpoints always come out really cool
- another cool website like prezi
- animated video presentations
- effectively presenting in class
- creating an effective powerpoint
- wikihow class presentation help
- v helpful dos and donts of presenting a powerpoint
- 12 common presentation mistakes
miscellaneous subject help
- !!! crash course in dozens of subjects with john and hank green !!!
- super helpful language learning website/app
- wolfram if you’re struggling with literally any math problem
- balace chemical equations
- minute physics
- art history
- public speaking
- psychology (lectures from a professor at yale)
- music theory
- microecon and macroecon
- block distracting websites but still use the rest of the internet
- finals survival guide by bootify
- listen to a coffee shop/campfire/waves/etc & you can even layer them!
- tons of studying playlists
- music box versions of tons of songs (useful if lyrics distract you)
- keep your energy up without caffeine
- learning and studying techniques
- lots of test prep resources
- make virtual flashcards and save the forests
- multiple choice test strategies
- what do you need to get on the final to get a certain grade?
- the collegiate vegan
- literally thousands of recipes by other students
- even more thousands of recipes made for students
- 200 healthy dorm recipes by undressedskeleton
- over 100 breakfast recipes (pls don’t skip breakfast it’s v important)
- 17 inexpensive, super easy, and on-the-go snacks
- 20 of the most essential recipes that you really should learn to cook
- lots of homemade hummus recipes
- "microwave in a mug" recipes
- coffee recipes
- hot chocolate recipes
- broke college kid recipes masterpost
if you ever feel stressed
- calming music
- cute videos
- the quiet place
- for when you have no one to talk to (also my askbox is always open)
- masterpost of things to make you feel better
- alternatives to self harm (useful for just blowing off steam too)
- very cute and relaxing games with soft/pleasant background music
- relaxing bath recipes
- yoga for stress
it’s okay to take a break every once in a while
- workout videos masterpost
- disney and pixar movies
- foreign films
- if you’ve never seen ahs, i highly recommend it
- one of the best movie masterposts
- even crazier movie masterpost
- make super rad symmetrical designs
- play with sand
- an interactive scale model of the galaxy
- how to moonwalk
- make a fake tweet
- blanket fort!
- super mario!
look cute in class and make boys cry (ft. pretty good deals bc we’re poor)
- (homemade) (face) (masks) (and) (scrubs)
- super quick hairstyles and lots of really great hair tutorials
- giant compilation of eyeliner pictorials and reference pictures
- inexpensive drugstore product recommendations
- !!! cheap band/tv show/logo merch !!!
- cute and inexpensive jewelry/clothes/school supplies/etc
because college is expensive
- k so i downloaded this app called featurepoints a couple weeks ago and i’ve already made a little over $50 from it. basically the app will tell you to download other apps and you’ll have to generally keep them open for about a minute. once you do, you’ll earn points that can be redeemed for free apps, giftcards to places like amazon or starbucks, or money put into your paypal account! i swear it’s not a scam. it’s honestly such an awesome way to kill time and you actually get money out of it. if ya wanna just try it, download it and enter the referral code KCHF98 and you can start off with 50 points! it’s radical, i promise
- sign up for preview free movies! i don’t know what areas they do them in but they happen all the time in southern california. what you get is invitations to see movies before they’re in theaters or sometimes even before they’re announced! if you rsvp and get in to the screening, you get to see the movie for free and all you have to do is a sort of review when it’s over. they ask what your favorite and least favorite part was and such. sometimes, if you’re lucky, there will be rewards for going like free tickets, and anywhere between $10 and $25 cash. i’ve actually made a lot of money through it!
- shopkick is also a really cool app i use that gives you giftcards for visiting certain stores and sometimes scanning certain products with your phone’s camera!
- get amazon prime free for six months with a college email
- !!! financial aid deadlines !!!
- get the most out of college financial aid
- discounts with a student id
- try and get the lowest prices at target
- free pad/tampon samples and coupons from kotex
- learn how to coupon
important regardless of school
- contraceptives masterpost
- helping someone who feels suicidal
- giant list of hotlines and crisis center phone numbers
- what to do if you think you may have been drugged
- how to avoid a hangover
- self defense with a key
- how to answer the top 35 job interview questions
- managing anxiety
- how to do your own taxes
- 10 steps to a better resume
- keep your laptop in a+ condition
- clean your carpet stains
final tips from me because we’re all friends here
- !!! do not pay for your textbooks if you don’t have to !!! even if you aren’t down with illegally downloading your books, you can waste hundreds of dollars on textbooks you will never open. wait until your professor says that you’ll need it or if material from the book will be on an exam just wait it’s what harry styles would do probably
- everyone says this but /please/ do extra credit if you can! it could mean the difference between a b+ and an a and that hurts more than the 1542th time you hear someone singing “let it go” in public
- if you’re like me and you find it completely impossible to make friends in college, at least try and have one homie in each class so if you miss a class, you have someone to tell you what you missed and let you copy notes. having this homie is also beneficial for group work bc homies help homies always (important life lessons from adventure time)
- if you’re in a productive mood, take advantage of it. i was feeling v scholarly one day and ended up finishing all my assignments until the end of the quarter almost a month early beyonce would be proud
- seriously just use google scholar instead of google if you’re doing something for a grade don’t be that loser who gets a bad grade over your sources
- keep a journal it is v helpful bc even if you don’t write, you can fill it with art stuff and just kind of let your feelings out and be creative about it /or/ if you don’t feel artistic, you can write! whether it’s creative writing or just talking about your day, it’s gr8
- if there is anything that you know will always improve your mood or make you feel better, take advantage of it. for me, this stand up is called weirdo and it’s by one of my favorite people in the world and almost three years after the release and dozens of viewings later, i still think it’s the funniest thing i have ever seen
- you are more important than anything in the world pls don’t ever put yourself in a bad situation for any reason ever, even if that means taking a day off for yourself
- if there is anyone in your life who doesn’t think of you as highly as kayne thinks of himself then that person doesn’t deserve to be in your life you don’t need them